Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wildlife Beware! Today is not my day!

If you know me, you know I am the biggest critter lover of all time. A few posts ago I wrote about the trio of turtles we saved from traffic. Well, now there's one. Not sure how that happened actually. They were basking in their turtle pond when one by one they were no longer there. Not sure if Gracie the Wonder Lab got to them or something else. In any case, I'm contemplating where to bring the last little turtle. He's so cute, but I feel obligated to do right by him. Nature is cruel, but I guess so am I for keeping them.

Here's the worst part about my day today. While mowing my paths in the raised garden I hit a little bunny nest. I saw something twitching and promptly shut down the mower. The bunny was pretty big, but still in the nest. Further looking revealed 3 more. Crap! The first one was too far gone, so my neighbor put him out of his misery. We learned from animal control that the last 3 should be put back in their nest with an "X" of string or twigs on top. Yeah right. These little panic stricken things are heading for the deep grass. Poor things. It's not like I want bunnies in my garden, I just hate having to evict them as babies.

Hug your pets. Watch out for wildlife...

No comments:

Post a Comment