Friday, May 29, 2009

Reason #412 Why I Love Living in the Country

The other day I ventured out to the 'burbs to meet up with a couple of old friends for lunch. The company was nice. Lunch was a tasty Maggiano's salad. The conversation gravitated toward what was not happening in my old department, rather than anything new and exciting. It seemed like things took forever to go nowhere. I left lunch feeling a little sad and empty. How would things have been if I had stayed?

As I drove home, I felt lucky to have discovered how much more to life there is than the drama of who's doing (or not doing) what. I realized how my life had changed during the past 4 months since I chose to leave the corporate world and experience life with my family. I am able to DO things rather than have a meeting to plan the next meeting. Yet I still wondered what I was here for...

I rounded the last corner home instinctively looking at my elderly neighbor's gate on the drive past it. It looked like something was blocking it from the inside. I executed a perfect 3-point turn returning to see a large tree that fell completely blocking the way. The driveway is 1/4 mile long through the woods, so they may not have discovered it for days. Had there been an emergency they were truly stranded.

It took me 3 phone calls and 15 minutes to rally a team to clear the tree and related debris. My neighbors on either side quickly gathered tools and drove over. We completely cleared the mess in the next 20 minutes. Talk about TEAMWORK! No meetings. No posturing for leadership. Simple ACTION.

This got me to thinking... Had I not gone to a last minute lunch with my old team and taken that route home, how would Carlos and Maria have gotten out? I guess I was in the right place at the right time. All is right in the world. I again found confirmation that I made the right decision to live this life.

Now someone is likely to ask what the previous 411 reasons for loving the country life. Before you do, remember that I WILL list them. Are you sure you're ready for that?

Enjoy the life you chose. Make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment