Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Here a duck, there a duck, everywhere a chicken...?


Hi y'all. It seems we have a few more links in the food chain we call home. During a volunteer event this past weekend I managed to take on 2 ducklings and a chick. My intentions were, and still are pure. I have a friend we like to call the Chicken Lady. She's about the sweetest person in the world that I actually know. She has a duck and chicken paradise. So... after stalking her down she accepted the guilty " PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP" and agreed to try to work these little guys into her flock.

As I understand it you can't just thrown the new birds into the flock without a lot of carnage. Who knew. So... once she gets back from vacation next week she'll be the proud new parent. In the meantime I get to watch these little comedians with delight every day. Ducklings are sooooo awkward. The chicken is the leader of the pack. It's kind of cool that they know me already. The chicken, Linnie as we named her, roosts on our arm and lets us carry her around a little. Tuck and Ming Ming the ducks are a little more shy. Once we catch them though they're pretty fun. Their yellow pinfeathers are still a little soft. I wish I could keep them, but the dogs and cats stalk them constantly. It's only a matter of time before one of them goes the way of the two missing turtles. (I still have not completely forgiven Gracie the Wonderlab for that...)

I'll try to get a little video posted of them tonight. Until then, just imagine little waddling poop factories cheeping all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment