Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hey Noah! I too can build an ark!

As you knew would happen, we decided to keep Linnie, Tuck and Ming Ming. They worked their way into our hearts and earned a home here. Turn out they LOVE dandelions. Finally a use for those weeds. These guys will have a job for life picking them from the lawn. Now the problem... How to protect them...

Yesterday I was determined to give my 'free' ducks and chicken a safe place to roam. After researching site after endless site of chicken housing, the site named the City Chicken had the inspiration I needed to build a Chicken Tractor, often called a Chicken Ark. Basically it's a small containment area for the bird to enjoy 'grazing' without the worry of some predator picking them off. I have a food chain here that begins with cats and ends with wolves, so I needed something strong.

Here's the result of my day's work:

It's 4 feet by 8 feet of lawn space and about 40 or so inches tall. Once I figured out the angles it came together pretty quickly. Pythagorus, you rock. Your theorum worked like a charm to help me figure out that I needed 30 degree bottom angles to make the most of my 2x4x8 studs. It all cost in the ballpark of $60 plus the screws and hardware that I stole from my horse stalls. Don't worry, the horses won't be escaping any time soon. I had replaced the latches with safer ones years ago. I just never took the original ones off.

All that's left is to attach 2 wheels and 2 handles so I can drive this thing around like a wierd looking wheel barrow and give fresh grazing areas to my birds. The thing inside is a perch of sorts for Linnie the Chicken. It's left over from when I broke my leg last year. I figured I'd try it out for her before I dismantle it.

Note, this one does not have a shade area. This is just the first one. I plan to use this model to build a few with covered roosting areas at the top. My ultimate plan is to make these in slightly shorter versions so that I can attach several together to make a long run to fit wherever I need it to - like between the garden rows. I can post the methods I used to build this if you promise not to attack my novice builder mistakes...

I tried it out today. My birds were really happy. The dogs circled it like a buffet line, but could not break in. The cats didn't even bother. Sweet success. Teagan fits into it, but quickly left after the first poop episode. I need to work on that with her.

Now for a more permanent coop... I have something in mind. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment