Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Cookies

I must be on a sandwich cookie stint lately. I had a craving for oatmeal cookies that had to be fulfilled. What could possibly make them better? Why filling of course.


My usual oatmeal cookie is a thick, soft cookie. This version is a thin, crispy cookie that softens over time to make those pretender oatmeal sandwich cookies available at the mega marts a distant, not so pleasant memory (you know the ones I am writing about...).

This recipe comes to you from the blog How To Eat A Cupcake. Casssie, the author, has recently opened a bakery in Virginia that I will be certain to visit the next time I'm in the area.

Cookie Ingredients:
Oatmeal Cream Pies (from “The Amish Cook’s Baking Book”)
Makes about 24 pies

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons boiling water

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside (or use parchment).
Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, flour, and baking powder.
Add to the creamed mixture.
Add the cinnamon and oats. Mix well.
In a small dish, add the baking soda to the boiling water, and then stir the mixture into the rest of the batter. Mix well.
Drop by the tablespoon (I did 2 tablespoons at first, then reduced to 1 tablespoon once I saw thesize) onto the baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake until the cookies are firm and just starting to turn golden around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes (I found 10 minutes to be far too long. 8.5 - 9 minutes were perfect. )
Cool the cookies on a wire rack or a plate.

Filling Ingredients:

I used the same filling as made for the Whoopie Pies a few days ago.
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons marshmallow fluff.
Mix well with hand mixer and spread on cooled cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, the only thing better than an oatmeal cookie is an oatmeal cookie sandwiched with all that fluffy filling. Great idea. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow night and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete