Sunday, February 27, 2011

I caved... Bought a Smartphone.

You'd think that someone who spent the majority of her career in technology would be a geek for electronics. Nope. I think I was the last of my circle to even get an iPod.

DH desperately needed a new cell phone. His hard-working Motorola Razor was due for a decent retirement. My own little phone was still functional, but occasionally have a stuck button or two. We compared phones and plans for months. Yes months. This decision was as big as a new car purchase :).

We settled yesterday on Sprint service, each getting a different smart phone. He chose the HTC Epic 4g, while I kept gravitating to the Samsung Epic 4g. They're both sexy phones that have enough to keep us entertained.


I justify my splurge on the fact that I really needed to change my credit card service provider. I needed something that I could run charges through quickly and efficiently at a craft show rather than running all charges at home after the show. Using the old method, by the time I ran a charge that was denied, it was too late therefore costing me time and money - two things I hate to waste or lose. The few times I used the optional phone in charge feature I found it long and cumbersome. When you're busy at a craft fair the last thing you want to do is lose a sale because it takes too long to check out!

The first app I downloaded was Square from Squareup.com. It was a breeze to set up and my card reader 'dongle' should arrive in 7-10 days. In the meantime I can easily key in credit card info and know if it's approved or denied immediately. The fees are better than my current merchant account too!

I ran my first test charge through the key in interface in less than a minute. The funds showed up in my online account immediately. I'm sold!

1 comment: